KALIBO, AKLAN, April 21 (PIA) – The province of Aklan will be commemorating its 61st anniversary on April 25, with this year’s theme,” Aklan: Soaring Towards Greater Opportunities.”
Celebrating the milestone as an independent province since 1956, a series of month-long activities had been lined-up by the provincial government here.
On April 25, the main event will commence with a Thanksgiving Mass at 6:30am at the Kalibo Cathedral; to be followed by a Civic and Military Parade at 7:30 am from Kalibo Patrana Park to Godofredo P. Ramos Park, which will be participated in by the different 17 local government units, schools, public and private offices, socio-civic and non-government organizations in the province.
On the same day at 9:00 am, wreath laying /floral offerings and flag-raising ceremonies will take place at the Godofredo Ramos Park.
It will be followed by a commemorative program at ABL Sports and Cultural Center with Senator Paolo Benigno “Bam” A. Aquino as a guest spreaker.
Other activities that had been lined-up to highlight the significance of this year’s Aklan Day celebration are the following.
· Legislative Quiz Bee at the ABL Sports Complex, April 20 at 9:00am;
· Rescuelympics at the Aklan Sports Complex, Barangay Calangcang, Makato, Aklan, from April 20-21;
· Awarding of Outstanding Taxpayers and Municipal Treasurers at the Provincial Capitol Lobby, April 21 at 1:00pm;
· Orientation Seminar on Farm Tourism: Cultivating Inclusive Growth Through Agri-tourism in AKlan at Nenette’s Garden, April 21, 8:00am to 5:00pm;
· Aklan Fiber Festival 2017, Garden Show; Agri-Aqua and Tourism Trade Fair, Talibong Festival, and Tsibugan sa Kapitolyo, from April 21 – 26;
· Provincial Employees Night/Awarding PGA Inter-Department Sportsfest 2017 Winners at the Goding Ramos Park on April 21 at 6:00 pm
· Aklan Festivals Showcase at ABL Sports Complex, April 24 from 8:00am to 12:00pm;
· Dog Show at ABL Sports Complex on April 24 at 2:00pm; and
· “Anyag” A Fashion Collective and Fireworks Display in front of Provincial Capitol Building on April 24 at 6:00pm to 10:00pm.
Every year, April 25 is declared as ‘Aklan Day’ by virtue of Republic Act No. 1414 signed by then President Ramon Magsaysay on April 25, 1956, and considered as a special nonworking holiday in the province. (JCM/SQP/PIA-Aklan)