Thousands of students join DOLE’s employment program

  • May 19, 2017
  • Mar Jay S. Delas Alas

BALANGA CITY, May 19 (PIA) -- Thousands of students have already started their employment under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).

 

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Provincial Director Leilani Reynoso disclosed that a total of 3,594 students got jobs under the SPES program in which they undergo employment for 20 to 74 days.

 

DOLE shoulders 40 percent of their salaries while the respective employers of the beneficiaries provide the remaining 60 percent.

 

Reynoso said any student who are 15 to 30 years old can apply for SPES provided that the applicant should not have a failing grade and belong to a poor but deserving family.

 

“When we say poor but deserving, applicants should belong to a family wherein the combined net salary of the parents does not exceed Php139,200,” she said.

 

She added that through SPES, the government aims to support the financial needs of every student beneficiary until they graduated.

 

Among the jobs offered to SPES beneficiaries include tax mappers, barangay survey personnel, encoders, school assistants, food service crew, and promotion merchandisers among others. (CLJD/MJSD-PIA 3)


Other News

Red Cross receives 1M worth of equipment and basic medicines from Israel Embassy
  • June 28, 2017
PRC Chairman Richard Gordon extends his gratitude to Israel Embassy Ambassador Ephraim Ben Matityau and his wife, Lizia Lu. MANILA, June 28 (PIA) -- The Israel Embassy officially turned over one million worth of basic equipment, medicines, and supplies to the Philippine Red Cross (PRC), to support the immediate needs of those affected by the Marawi conflict. PRC set up a basic health care unit in (BHCU) in Balo-i Lanao del Norte on June 8. Since basic health services are a major priority in the communities and evacuation centers affected by the conflict, the PRC has provided ba...Read more
DOST-Davao Region bares activities for 2017 NSTW
  • June 28, 2017
DIGOS CITY, June 28 (PIA) -- The Department of Science and Technology – Region XI has lined up all its pre-event activities as a prelude to the regional celebration of the National Science and Technology Week on July 3-5, 2017 at the NCCC Mall of Davao.   From June 26 to July 1, DOST-Region XI will hold a Techno-Agri-Industrial Trade Fair to be hosted by the provincial local government unit and Department of Trade and Industry – Davao del Sur. Participants will be various national government agencies including the Provincial Science and Technology Center-Davao del Sur, local gove...Read more
Protection of migrant workers sought
  • June 28, 2017
MANILA, June 28, (PIA)--The labor department has sought global action to guarantee the protection and promotion of the rights and welfare of migrant workers.   Addressing the Committee on Labor Migration, a major committee of the International Labor Conference (ILC) in Geneva last week, Labor Undersecretary Ciriaco A. Lagunzad III reiterated the need for better migrant workers’ protection among the member-states receiving nations.   “Member-states have a moral obligation to ensure that migrant workers have access to safe and decent work, wherever they are and in whatever situ...Read more
Medical repatriation efforts for OFWs strengthened
  • June 28, 2017
MANILA, June 28 (PIA)--A more cohesive and synchronized procedure for the medical repatriation of overseas Filipinos is now assured with the signing last week of a Joint Memorandum Circular among government agencies, including the labor department.   Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III said the joint effort is another milestone in providing full- seven cycle migration assistance, especially to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).   “The joint circular strengthens our interdepartmental efforts in protecting the rights and promoting the welfare and interests of our overseas Filip...Read more