Duterte Administration supports responsible mining

  • March 17, 2017
  • Redjie Melvic Cawis

BAGUIO CITY, Mar. 17 (PIA) -- President Rodrigo Roa Duterte called on the mining industry to be responsible miners and follow laws and regulations for them to be allowed to mine in the country.

Duterte, who led the inauguration of the People’s Television Network or PTV Cordillera Hub in Baguio City on Saturday last week, said his administration is not against the mining industry but he   wants to have responsible miners operating and following the rules and regulations on mining.

That is why he is backing the position of Environment Secretary Gina Lopez to close down mine companies who have violated mining and environment laws and regulations.

“We do not intend to close the mining industry. It’s impossible because there is a law governing the operation of mining. Pagka may batas, you allow it. Otherwise, if you want to do away with mining altogether you, abrogate the law or modify it to something else,” Duterte said.

The chief executive stressed he supports Sec. Lopez and her fight to a better environment and the protection of public interest.

 “Gina has the passion for it and she wants compliance. She never said she is going to close permanently the mining companies so ayusin mo lang in accordance with the law. It is not Gina who is imposing the laws and regulations. It’s the law and the environment, the need for the moment to improve everything here,” he said.

“Ako, I cannot compromise the environment. That’s very clear. So I am with Gina because I want to protect the Filipino people. It’s all public interest. We protect public interest. Period. No matter who gets hurt and that is what Gina is doing. She’s not really concerned about who owns it. She’s not interested in their money. And she’s just doing it the way a Cabinet member should do and that is ‘yung trabaho,” he added.

The President said Lopez might give the mining firms that were ordered to cease their operations another chance if they abide by the rules and regulations pertaining to mining activities.

Lopez announced earlier the suspension of the 23 mining firms nationwide including Lepanto Mining Corporation in Mankayan and the Benguet Corporation in Itogon for alleged non-compliance with some laws and regulations in their operations.

Lopez’ appointment as DENR chief is still uncertain at the Commission of Appointment. (JDP/RMC- PIA CAR)


Other News

Valenzuela wins second E-Readiness award
  • July 21, 2017
VALENZUELA CITY, July 21 (PIA)—The City Government of Valenzuela received its second bags this year's e-Readiness Leadership Award during the Electronic Business Permits and Licensing Summit held at the Novotel Manila in Quezon City, July 18, 2017. The award recognizes local chief executives who are pioneering the adoption and strategic use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to enhance their delivery of government services, improve revenue/tax collection efforts, improve business permits application and renewal processes, and to promote transparency in government o...Read more
DSWD, other 'Task Force Bangon Marawi' members intensify preps for Marawi rehab
  • July 20, 2017
MANILA, July 20 -- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) continues to strengthen its coordination with other members of the ‘Task Force Bangon Marawi’ to intensify preparations for recovery and rehabilitation of Marawi City, where government forces continue to battle the Maute terror group.   Task Force Bangon Marawi is the government’s inter-agency task force for the recovery, reconstruction, and rehabilitation of Marawi City and other localities affected by the ongoing armed conflict in Lanao Del Sur. It was created by President Rodrigo R. Duterte under Admini...Read more
Over 1M benefit from OSSCO
  • July 20, 2017
MANILA, July 20 -- Government frontline services were made accessible to more than one million overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the first year of the Duterte administration, as the labor department managed to put up One-Stop-Service Centers nationwide.   Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the over one million OFWs were served and benefited from efficient and speedy delivery of various government services brought by OSSCO after it was launched last August.   “We established 17 One-Stop-Service Centers all over the country to reduce the expenses of OFWs as the services or...Read more
WV crime volume dips by 8.5%
  • July 20, 2017
ILOILO CITY, July 19 (PIA6) ---  The Police Regional Office (PRO)-6 reported that crime volume in Western Visayas decreased by 8.5 percent. Data from the PRO-6 Crime Information, Reporting and Analysis System (CIRAS) showed that 36,690 crime incidents were recorded for the period July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. This figure is lower by 3,410 incidents or a drop of 8.5 percent as compared to the 40,100 crime incidents registered from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016. PRO-6 data also showed there was a significant decrease of index crimes with 8,582 recorded incidents which is 21.02 per...Read more