BUTUAN CITY, Apr. 17 (PIA) - With the aim to advocate, showcase and promote the City of Butuan as one of the leading tourist destination, not just in the Philippines, but worldwide, the Butuan City local government unit (LGU) led by Mayor Ronnie Vicente Lagnada is inviting all private and government offices, barangays and schools to join the Balangay Float Parade Competition in celebration of the 29th Balangay Festival come May 2017.
The following are the boat/float parade mechanics:
1. Concept or theme for the float must depict the appearance of a Balangay boat.
2. Contest will be open to barangays, schools, private and government offices situated in Butuan City. The float shall be mounted in a vehicle not smaller than a multicab and not larger than an elf.
3. Contestant will have option of constructing or pre-fabricating their floats in their own discretion of location. The vehicle that will be used should be in good condition.
4. Contestant will have the option of providing performers as props during the duration of the parade. Entry must portray authentic appearance of the Balangay boat including the color, presentation and feature.
5. The height must not go beyond 12 feet; width must not go beyond 9 feet and length must not go beyond 20 feet. For every foot in excess the maximum specifications, a penalty of five points shall be deducted from the total score of all judges.
6. Floats will be judged during the duration of the parade. Floats should be stable and secure and must be well-ventilated to avoid suffocation of driver/rider.
7. Assembly time will be at North Montilla Boulevard at 1:00 p.m. and will traverse at North Montilla Boulevard, J.C. Aquino Avenue and ends at the City Sports Complex. Floats must remain parked at the designated area in the complex for the judges’ final scoring.
8. Entries in the float competition will be confirmed upon receipt by the secretariat of the duly accomplished registration form.
9. Floats should be environmental friendly. Participant will have the prerogative on its concept and design of the Balangay float.
10. The float contestant will be given their float number as they confirm their participation and submission of registration form. The number must be printed in a 2 feet x 3 feet placard and be placed on a conspicuous part of the float together with the name of participant.
11. Entry will be disqualified if it fails to abide with the mechanics.
12. The decision of the judges shall be final and non-appealable.
Meanwhile, the criteria for judging the boat/float contest will be 50 percent for craftsmanship, 25 percent for the theme and 25 percent for impact and ingenuity.
“The prize for the grand winner is P150,000. Second prize winner will receive P100,000 and P75,000.00 for the third prize winner. Consolation prizes of P20,000 will also be accorded to each five floats,” said Lagnada.
For queries, contact the Balangay Festival Float Parade and Street Dance Competition sub-committee chair Alfredo Mori at telephone number (085)342-6880. (RCO/PIA Caraga)