No definite date to restore Leyte’s power supply after 6.5 quake

  • July 07, 2017
  • Consuelo B. Alarcon

TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte, July 7 (PIA) – There is no definite date yet as to when the power supply in most parts of Eastern Visayas will be restored.

 

This, after a strong earthquake struck Leyte, Thursday, where the epicentre was located at 67 degrees west of Jaro, Leyte.

 

Ma. Edna Legaspina, communications officer of the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) said aerial and ground patrols are being conducted to assess areas affected by the quake.

 

NGCP reported that both the Ormoc HVDC and Ormoc Substation sustained damages. A tower along the 138kV Ormoc-Tongonan Line was found leaning during the inspection.

 

Legaspina also said that NGCP has already mobilized six line gangs to temporarily restore the Ormoc-Tongonan 138kV Line. Another line gang was sent to Kananga Switchyard to assess possible ways of extending power from the Tabango Substation to Ormoc Substation.

 

On the part of the Leyte II Electric Cooperative, it informed that as per technical survey and assessment of their personnel, LEYECO II’s distribution line infrastructures are intact following the 6.5 quake denoting that the cooperative is ready to receive power from the source through NGCP.

 

However, due to the extent of damage towards the power source, LEYECO II is taking conscious efforts to continuously communicate with the power source to keep the electric consumers abreast and updated. As of this posting no definite date had been given both by the GCGI (power plant) and NGCP (transmission) as to when power will be up.

 

Thus, LEYECO II is seeking the fervent understanding and prayerful spirits of their member consumers.

 

Meanwhile, since last night, the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Operation Center has raised the alert status from BLUE to RED relative to the effects of the 6.5 quake.

 

A situational report of the Office of Civil Defense Region 8 revealed that two persons were confirmed dead while 72 sustained injuries. One of the casualties was recovered under the three storey building that collapsed located at Barangay Poblacion, Kananga Leyte while the other victim’s cause of death was due to concrete hollow blocks that fell on her.

 

Injured victims were rushed immediately to Kananga Community Hospital, Ormoc District Hospital, Carigara District Hospital, OSPA and Kananga Rural Health Unit.

 

The Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Operation Center has established the Incident Command Post to facilitate the immediate on-site response and coordination with other disaster response teams.(NGCP/PIA8/ajc/cba )


Other News

Valenzuela wins second E-Readiness award
  • July 21, 2017
VALENZUELA CITY, July 21 (PIA)—The City Government of Valenzuela received its second bags this year's e-Readiness Leadership Award during the Electronic Business Permits and Licensing Summit held at the Novotel Manila in Quezon City, July 18, 2017. The award recognizes local chief executives who are pioneering the adoption and strategic use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to enhance their delivery of government services, improve revenue/tax collection efforts, improve business permits application and renewal processes, and to promote transparency in government o...Read more
DSWD, other 'Task Force Bangon Marawi' members intensify preps for Marawi rehab
  • July 20, 2017
MANILA, July 20 -- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) continues to strengthen its coordination with other members of the ‘Task Force Bangon Marawi’ to intensify preparations for recovery and rehabilitation of Marawi City, where government forces continue to battle the Maute terror group.   Task Force Bangon Marawi is the government’s inter-agency task force for the recovery, reconstruction, and rehabilitation of Marawi City and other localities affected by the ongoing armed conflict in Lanao Del Sur. It was created by President Rodrigo R. Duterte under Admini...Read more
Over 1M benefit from OSSCO
  • July 20, 2017
MANILA, July 20 -- Government frontline services were made accessible to more than one million overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the first year of the Duterte administration, as the labor department managed to put up One-Stop-Service Centers nationwide.   Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the over one million OFWs were served and benefited from efficient and speedy delivery of various government services brought by OSSCO after it was launched last August.   “We established 17 One-Stop-Service Centers all over the country to reduce the expenses of OFWs as the services or...Read more
WV crime volume dips by 8.5%
  • July 20, 2017
ILOILO CITY, July 19 (PIA6) ---  The Police Regional Office (PRO)-6 reported that crime volume in Western Visayas decreased by 8.5 percent. Data from the PRO-6 Crime Information, Reporting and Analysis System (CIRAS) showed that 36,690 crime incidents were recorded for the period July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. This figure is lower by 3,410 incidents or a drop of 8.5 percent as compared to the 40,100 crime incidents registered from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016. PRO-6 data also showed there was a significant decrease of index crimes with 8,582 recorded incidents which is 21.02 per...Read more