A chubby kid is not always healthy

  • May 29, 2017
  • Leonard T. Pineda I
ILOILO CITY, May 29 (PIA6) ---  A child who is overweight is not a healthy child at all, said the Iloilo City Health Office (CHO).
 
City Health Office chief Dr. Bernard Caspe clarified the misconception that malnutrition only concerns children who are underweight.
 
“Malnutrition also includes obesity and being overweight,” he said.
 
He said that they do not advocate among parents to have their children gain extra weight which is more than what is needed to support their growth and development and which can lead to childhood obesity.
 
He said that obesity already poses significant health risks even at a young age.
 
“If the child cannot overcome this condition at the age of eight to 10, there is a big possibility that he will become hypertensive or diabetic as an adult,” he said.
 
He advised parents to train their children to eat more fruits and vegetables, less salty food, less fatty food, and less sugar.
 
Meanwhile, CHO assistant head Dr. Mae Delmo encouraged parents to follow “Pinggang Pinoy”, the food guide promoted by the Department of Health (DOH) and the National Nutrition Council (NNC) and developed by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI) to promote healthy eating habits.
 
“Pinggang Pinoy promotes having a balanced and varied diet,” she said.
 
According to the DOH, the Pinggang Pinoy is divided into portions, each of which has their equivalent sizes per meal.
 
Rice and alternatives include a serving of a cup of cooked rice, four pieces of pandesal, four slices of loaf bread, a cup of cooked macaroni or spaghetti noodles or a small piece of root crop.
 
Fish and alternatives include a piece of small-sized fish, a piece of small chicken leg or a matchbox size of meat, or a piece of small chicken egg.
 
The food guide also recommends at least three-fourths cup of cooked or raw vegetables, a medium-sized fruit or a slice of big fruit, and eight or more glasses of water daily. (JCM/LTP/PIA-Iloilo)

Other News

Palace closely monitoring situation on avian flu
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- Malacañan on Saturday, August 19, reassured the public that it is keeping a close watch on the developments in Nueva Ecija following reports of poultry deaths, urging the people to refrain from spreading fake news which may cause distress and panic. “We are closely monitoring the situation in Nueva Ecija following the confirmation of poultry deaths in the province yesterday by the Department of Agriculture (DA). We ask our people to remain calm yet vigilant and to refrain from spreading unverified information that may cause undue alarm and panic,” Presidential Spoke...Read more
DPWH resumes road repair in Metro Manila this weekend
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- The Department of Public Works and Highways – National Capital Region (DPWH-NCR) will take advantage of the long weekend to continue its road reblocking activities in 10 major thoroughfares in Metro Manila which began 11PM of Friday, 18 August 2017.   DPWH-NCR Director Melvin B. Navarro reported that road works will include major areas in Quezon City including second lane, northbound direction  of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue before North Avenue; second lane, southbound direction of A. Bonifacio Street between Del Monte Street after Binhagan Street; truck lane,...Read more
Mayor Beng reiterates: Avoid looking for jobs in risky areas
  • August 20, 2017
By Felipo David G. Malcampo ZAMBOANGA CITY, August 16 (PIA) – City Mayor Beng Climaco reiterated her warning to jobseekers to avoid looking for jobs in risky areas since there is plenty of employment opportunities in the city. “Please refrain from looking for work in risky areas because we have a lot of job opportunities in Zamboanga,” Mayor Climaco said during a press briefing Monday (August 14). Last month, four Zamboangueño laborers namely Jayson Vailoces, Joel Adanza, Felimon Guerrero, Jr. and Edmundo Ramos were abducted while doing construction and painting jobs in Sulu. L...Read more
DAR marks CARPER’s 8th Anniversary
  • August 20, 2017
By Alfonso T. Ruda   DIPOLOG CITY, August 16 (PIA)--- The Department of Agrarian of Agrarian Reform held a press conference with the local media in line with the department’s 8th CARPER Anniversary celebration.   According to DAR-Zamboanga del Norte PARPO II Mohammad Dassan Adju, the press conference was called to update the local media on the projects implemented by DAR in the province and to thank the media for their continuous support to its information dissemination campaign.   Adju said that apart from its regular project, presently DAR is implementing two (2) forei...Read more