San Miguel to hire former drug dependents for MRT-7 projects

  • April 19, 2017

QUEZON CITY, April 19 (PIA)--A consortium led by San Miguel Corporation has committed to hire former drug dependents who completed the Quezon City government’s rehabilitation program for its MRT-7 project.

Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte who chairs the QC Anti-Drug Abuse Advisory Council  (QCDAAC) made this announcement on Tuesday (April 18) at the sidelines of a ceremony for the 100 former drug dependents who have completed the community-based rehabilitation program of the city government.

Vice Mayor Belmonte said San Miguel will formalize its commitment through Memorandum of Agreement to be signed on April 25.

“Aside from San Miguel, meron pang ibang mga private companies na gustong makipag MOA sa city government. Nakita kasi natin na merong mga suitable for clerical work o sa mga call center jobs. Sa paraang ito tinutulungan natin na sila’y makahanap ng hanapbuhay. Hindi naman kasi ibig sabihin na gumamit ka nang bawal na gamot ay masamang tao kana,” she said.

The MRT-7 project which traverses Quezon Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue all the way to San Jose del Monte Bulacan is expected to be completed in three years.

Data from the Philippine National Police shows that there are 16,000 drug surrenderees in Quezon City under its Oplan Double Barrel. Around 10,000 are registered in the integrated drug profiling system.

The city government’s rehabilitation program is composed of 12 mandatory clinical counseling sessions that will run for three months.

After the 3-month period, the drug surrenderees will undergo drug testing and psychological evaluation.

Those who need further treatment will be sent to the QC Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Center in Payatas.

The Barangay Drug Abuse Councils are tasked to monitor the rehabilitated drug dependents to ensure that they have not slid back to their illegal ways. (PAISO QC/RJB/SDL/PIA-NCR)


Other News

Diokno highlights the role of fiscal policy in DuterteNomics part 2
  • April 27, 2017
MANILA, April 27 -- On April 25, Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno once again joined senior officials of the national government at the Conrad Hotel in Pasay City for “Dutertenomics II”, a rerun of the forum “Dutertenomics” organized by the Department of Finance (DOF) and the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) held at the same venue last April 18, 2017. Similar to Dutertenomics I, the second forum dealt on the economic policies and development blueprint of President Rodrigo Duterte. This time, however, delegates of the foreign m...Read more
Projects registered with BOI increase over 30% in the first 4 months of 2017
  • April 27, 2017
MAKATI CITY, April 27 -- Preliminary estimates of investment figures approved by the Philippine Board of Investments (BOI) in the first four months of 2017 reached P154 billion. DTI Secretary and BOI Chair Ramon M. Lopez said the figure is tracking an increase of over 30 percent compared to last year over the same period, which registered P117.2 billion. Projects registered with the agency during the period grew to 194, or an increase of 92 percent from the 101 projects registered in the same frame in 2016. These projects are expected to generate 46,018 new jobs once operational—an ...Read more
DPWH to repair 8 roads this weekend
  • April 27, 2017
MANILA, April 27 -- Motorists are advised that the Department of Public Works and Highways-National Capital Region (DPWH-NCR) will resume weekend road repair and reblocking on eight road sections in the cities of Quezon, Makati, Pasig, and Valenzuela. DPWH-NCR Director Melvin B. Navarro said repairs will be undertaken starting at 11 am on Friday, April 28, 2017 at the second lane, southbound direction of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue from Roosevelt Avenue to Quezon Avenue in Quezon City; along southbound direction of C5 before Lanuza Avenue, Pasig City and from Makati/Pasig Boundary to ...Read more
Deadline for submission of SSS-loan restructuring program (LRP) application today
  • April 27, 2017
QUEZON CITY, April 27 -- To cut the waiting time and accommodate all applicants, the Social Security System (SSS) will only accept and stamp Loan Restructuring Program (LRP) applications subject to its evaluation and approval at a later time. The change in the procedure is due to the influx of members going to branches to beat the deadline for the submission of LRP applications today. Applications will be accepted by SSS branches and members will be notified via text when they can claim their approval slip. Members can only pay once they get their approval slip. SSS branches in Manila, ...Read more