Makati urges residents in danger zones to relocate

  • March 16, 2017

MAKATI, March 16 (PIA)--The city government of Makati led by Mayor Abby Binay on Wednesday conducted a dialog with residents of Barangay Rizal to raise awareness about the West Valley Fault and to warn those who are living within the five-meter easement on both sides of the fault, declared as ‘danger zones’, of the risks they face if they do not relocate.

 

The Makati Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) has organized a series of dialogs for Rizal and three other barangays transected by the fault line, as part of the city’s thrust of building resilient and sustainable communities.

 

Speaking before over 345 residents and officials of Rizal, Mayor Binay urged concerned residents to relocate for their own safety as seismologists say the fault is already ripe for movement and could cause a 7.2 magnitude earthquake in Metro Manila.

 

“We cannot predict exactly when the earthquake will happen, but it is inevitable. Earthquakes are not like typhoons which can easily be detected through weather instruments. Thus, we must not be complacent,” the mayor said.

 

Currently, there are 99 lots in Rizal tagged within the danger zone, while Comembo has eight lots, Pembo has 93, and East Rembo, 113.

 

Binay said that although there will be no forced eviction for residents who refuse to relocate, they will be asked to sign a waiver stating that they accept the risks, and that they expect no assistance from the city government. She also clarified that the city government will not purchase affected lots.

 

“Mas importante ang buhay kaysa materyal na bagay,” said the mayor in response to concerns about investments made by residents in building their homes.

 

On the other hand, those who will agree to relocate will receive financial assistance from the city government. The mayor said that since most lots are usually occupied by more than one family, financial aid will be computed on a per household basis.

 

The mayor said the lots that will be vacated will be cleared of the structures and will be converted into linear parks.

 

For residents not living within the danger zone, the city government has partnered with Build Change, a non-government organization that will help them in assessment and reinforcement of their house structures.

 

The assembly was also attended by Second District Representative Luis Campos, Jr. and other city officials, together with representatives from the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

 

Jeffrey Perez, science research specialist of Phivolcs, advised residents to make their houses sturdy as he showed photographs of fault ruptures during the Luzon earthquake on July 16, 1990; Masbate earthquake on February 15, 2003; and the 7.2 magnitude earthquake in North Bohol on October 15, 2013.

 

Makati DRRMO head Richard Raymond Rodriguez said the WFV in Makati has an approximate length of almost three kilometers and transects four barangays in the city, and is expected to affect more than 400 households. These are Comembo-0.16km; East Rembo-1.07kms; Pembo-0.82km; and Rizal-0.83km.

 

Last week, the dialog was held in Barangay Comembo where over 120 residents participated. The other two barangays scheduled next are Pembo on March 22 and East Rembo on March 29.

 

Meanwhile, the West Valley Fault Marker Installation Project, based on the Walk-the-Fault activity conducted by the city government and Phivolcs, will also be implemented soon in the four barangays.

 

The project aims to raise the awareness of residents and other stakeholders on the actual track of the WVF, based on the Walk-the-Fault activity jointly conducted by the Phivolcs and the city government.

The 155 identified areas for the markers and ‘mohons’ (concrete landmarks) in the four barangays are as follows: East Rembo (33 mohons and 27 markers); Comembo (three mohons and two markers); Pembo (34 mohons and 19 markers); and Rizal (20 mohons and 17 markers). (Makati ICRD/RJB/SDL/PIA-NCR)

 

 


Other News

Mayor Beng reiterates: Avoid looking for jobs in risky areas
  • August 20, 2017
By Felipo David G. Malcampo ZAMBOANGA CITY, August 16 (PIA) – City Mayor Beng Climaco reiterated her warning to jobseekers to avoid looking for jobs in risky areas since there is plenty of employment opportunities in the city. “Please refrain from looking for work in risky areas because we have a lot of job opportunities in Zamboanga,” Mayor Climaco said during a press briefing Monday (August 14). Last month, four Zamboangueño laborers namely Jayson Vailoces, Joel Adanza, Felimon Guerrero, Jr. and Edmundo Ramos were abducted while doing construction and painting jobs in Sulu. L...Read more
DAR marks CARPER’s 8th Anniversary
  • August 20, 2017
By Alfonso T. Ruda   DIPOLOG CITY, August 16 (PIA)--- The Department of Agrarian of Agrarian Reform held a press conference with the local media in line with the department’s 8th CARPER Anniversary celebration.   According to DAR-Zamboanga del Norte PARPO II Mohammad Dassan Adju, the press conference was called to update the local media on the projects implemented by DAR in the province and to thank the media for their continuous support to its information dissemination campaign.   Adju said that apart from its regular project, presently DAR is implementing two (2) forei...Read more
Help pours for Diki fire victims in Isabela City
  • August 20, 2017
by Rene V. Carbayas   ISABELA CITY, Basilan, Aug 16 (PIA) – The Diki fire that occurred on July 30 left hundreds of victims here composed of 341 families or 1,646 individuals. They have continuously received relief goods and other assistance from different government agencies and organizations.   Zamboanga City Mayor Beng Climaco came all the way from Zamboanga City on August 4 and headed a delegation composed of Zamboanga City's Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and the City Social Welfare and Development Office and turned over relief assistance to the victims....Read more
DOF seeks FPI’s support behind tax reform
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III has sought the support of local manufacturers behind the Duterte administration’s Comprehensive Tax Reform Program (CTRP), which, he said, would be a potent tool to encourage enterprise and boost domestic market demand, attract investors and improve the purchasing power of wage earners, and build an inclusive economy.   In a speech read for him by Finance Assistant Secretary Mark Dennis Joven, Dominguez also assured members of the Federation of Philippine Industries (FPI), which has long been partnering with the government ...Read more