13 mayors, 1 governor in SOCCSKSARGEN among LCEs stripped of police powers

  • July 07, 2017

KORONADAL CITY, South Cotabato, Jul. 7 (PIA)--- Twelve mayors and the governor of Sultan Kudarat province as well as the city mayor of Cotabato were among the 139 local chief executives (LCEs) in Mindanao whose deputation as representatives of the National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) was suspended or withdrawn by the commission.

 

NAPOLCOM XII regional director Veronica Hatague said that the suspension of police powers was based on resolution numbers 2017-334, 335, and 335-A.

 

The said resolutions highlighted the grounds for the withdrawal of deputation which include failure of the local chief executives to suppress terrorist elements resulting in alarming incidence of lawless violence within their territorial jurisdiction.

 

Also, there have been reports of local chief executives in Mindanao being involved in the illegal drug trade and that the action or inaction of certain LCEs in connection with the illegal drug trade, while still being validated, is tantamount to providing material support to criminal elements.

 

With the suspension, affected LCEs may no longer inspect police forces and units, and conduct audit and exercise other functions previously authorized by the commission.

 

Meanwhile, Hatague clarified that their office has just recently received the resolutions which were duly signed and approved on June 8, 2017. The regional director also emphasized that it was their Central Office which enforced the suspension.

 

Hatague also noted that as a procedure of issuing suspension, investigation and validation should first start in the regional level. On the other hand, as stated in NAPOLCOM’s Memorandum Circular No. 2001- 003, the Central Office can do investigation and validation without the knowledge of the regional office.

 

The regional director said that some of the affected LCEs in the region have already coordinated with NAPOLCOM XII for their appeal in lifting the suspension.

 

She also noted that the withdrawal of the deputation should stay for the duration of the Martial Law unless the LCEs can offer valid and compelling reasons for its restoration. Further, Hatague emphasized that only the President could restore the withdrawal of the suspension as stated under NAPOLCOM Memorandum Circular No. 99-010.

 

On the other hand, to shed light on this issue, Hatague stated that Commissioner Zenonida Brosas, supervising commissioner for Region XII of NAPOLCOM will be gracing the Regional Peace and Order Council XII Meeting on July 11. (SJDuerme-PIA12)

 


Other News

CARAT Expo 2017 to increase agro marine productivity in Caraga
  • July 21, 2017
BUTUAN CITY, July 20 (PIA) – In keeping the momentum of advancing the region’s rich agricultural and fishery products, the Butuan City Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation, Inc. will once again hold this year’s Caraga Agricultural Trade and Marketing Exposition or CARAT Expo 2017 on August 10-13, here. CARAT Expo 2017 carries the theme, “Zoom up Caraga! Responding to challenges in agri-aqua productivity, responsible mining and progressive entrepreneurship.” “It will be a four-day event and is highlighted by hosting the 21st Caraga Business Conference slated also on Au...Read more
Valenzuela wins second E-Readiness award
  • July 21, 2017
VALENZUELA CITY, July 21 (PIA)—The City Government of Valenzuela received its second bags this year's e-Readiness Leadership Award during the Electronic Business Permits and Licensing Summit held at the Novotel Manila in Quezon City, July 18, 2017. The award recognizes local chief executives who are pioneering the adoption and strategic use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to enhance their delivery of government services, improve revenue/tax collection efforts, improve business permits application and renewal processes, and to promote transparency in government o...Read more
SSS ready to implement EC Funeral benefit hike in 1 month from effectivity date
  • July 21, 2017
BUTUAN CITY, July 21 - State-run Social Security System (SSS) on Thursday said it is ready to implement the recently issued Executive Order No. 33 by President Rodrigo Duterte ordering the increase of the Employees’ Compensation (EC) funeral benefits for government and private sector employees from P20,000 to P30,000 within 30 days from the publication date of the Implementing Rules and Regulations to be issued by the Employees’ Compensation Commission. "We just need a month to make system adjustments to implement the P10,000 increase in EC funeral benefit. We are one with Pres. Dutert...Read more
Gov’t broadens horizons for PWDs
  • July 21, 2017
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, July 20 (PIA) – To foster beneficial programs for the persons with disabilities (PWDs) and ensure their access to public services, various national line agencies highlighted their programs, projects and services for the sector during the Talakayan sa PIA on July 14.   On upholding the rights of PWDs on transportation, Land Transportation Office (LTO) Regional Director Oscar Salcedo said that they are constantly monitoring the compliance of drivers and passengers on reserving one space or seat for PWDs.   “The moment nga naa’y pasahero nga PWD (when ther...Read more