DOH open 'quitlines' to help Filipinos quit smoking

  • June 20, 2017

MANILA, June 20 -- The Department of Health (DOH), in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO), today launched phone and mobile-centered support services to help Filipino smokers quit tobacco.

Harnessing the power and potentials of communication technologies, the DOH now offers Filipinos who want to kick their smoking habits real-time counseling and support through a quitline.

Quitline is a hotline –165364 - that smokers can call. For the mobile-based cessation, simply text 'STOPSMOKE' to (29290)165364 – and text messaging will begin support and guidance to quit smoking, instead of actual operators and voice. Services will be available and accessible via SMART/Sun Cellular and Globe.

“We are all pleased to share with the public new services that will help them initiate or continue quitting the use of tobacco products,” Health Secretary Paulyn Jean B. Rosell-Ubial said. “The ubiquitous availability and reach of telecommunication devices have already enabled numerous possibilities. From effectively bridging the communication gap between people, these devices are now also seen as valuable tools in improving health care delivery systems to address the burden of tobacco use,” she added.

Based on the country’s 2015 Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS), seven in 10 of Filipino smokers would like to quit tobacco. But only 4% of those who smoked in the past 12 months reported success in fully kicking the deadly habit.

"The Philippines is once again at the forefront of tobacco control innovation as the first country to launch a mobile tobacco cessation initiative in the Western Pacific Region," WHO Country Representative to the Philippines Dr. Gundo Weiler said. "With the Quitlines, Filipino smokers now have on their hands an accessible way to put into action their intention to quit smoking. The World Health Organization is proud to support this initiative together with the Department of Health and the International Telecommunications Union." he added.

Non-communicable diseases-NCDs (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases) are threat to the Western Pacific Region, to which the Philippines belongs. In 2012 alone, approximately 11 million deaths in the region were due to NCDs, undermining economic development.

There are now 1 million less smokers in the Philippines (GATS, 2015), and there is real demand for smoking cessation services as tobacco control programs are strengthened: graphic health warnings are prompting smokers to quit; significant number of local governments are enforcing better smoke-free ordinances and more recently, the President has just signed EO 26 banning smoking in public places nationwide.

The Philippines was the logical pilot for the WHO-ITU partnership, ‘Be He@lthy, Be Mobile’ (BHBM) because of the high penetration of mobile telephone in the country.

“Cellphone penetration rate in the Philippines was 113% as far back as 2012. Mobile phones provide a reliable and cheap tool to access even the remotest of populations. The Philippines is a highly digitized society with a rapidly growing mobile phone penetration, and it made sense to roll out the mobile cessation here," Secretary Ubial emphasized.

The mobile cessation component of DOH’s real-time support services was developed under the the BHBM Initiative. BHBM is a larger movement that looks to exploit to incorporate mobile technology – in particular text messaging and apps – to help combat non-communicable diseases or NCDs. So far nine countries have joined the initiative: Costa Rica, Norway, Philippines, Senegal, Tunisia, United Kingdom, Zambia, India and Egypt.

World Health Organization’s (WHO) document on Policy Recommendations for Smoking Cessation and Treatment of Tobacco Dependence says it is difficult to reduce the tobacco-related deaths over the next 30-50 years unless adult smokers are actively encouraged to quit.

Both Quitline technologies implement a range of techniques in their communication and messages, including motivation, advice and guidance, and counseling, over telephone and mobile platforms. (DOH)


Other News

Antique Guv: participate  during "Pista Kang Kagubatan"
  • June 29, 2017
SAN JOSE, Antique June 29 (PIA) - - The Governor called on Antiquenos to participate in the tree planting activity set on June 30, 2017 at Camp Leandro Fullon, Barangay San Fernando, the Municipality.   “The activity is pursuant to Provincial Ordinance No.2015-109, wherein the Provincial Government will celebrate “Pista Kang Kagubatan on June 30 with the theme “Kagubatan Tamnan, Protektaha: Kaaraydan Kang Tanan,” said Governor Rhodora Cadiao in her invitation to all government employees and other institutions to join the tree planting activity.   The governor said that activity a...Read more
Albay reports huge increase in quarry income
  • June 29, 2017
LEGAZPI CITY, June 29 (PIA) – The provincial government of Albay reported generating P69.2 million in taxes on sand and gravel in less than a semester of 2017.   The January to May proceeds from quarrying sand and gravel amounted to P69,250,066, which was considerably higher than the P38,633,810 collected in the entire 2016, records at Albay’s Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) showed.      Albay Governor Al Francis Bichara attributed the substantial increase to some basic reforms that he introduced, mainly adjusting the tax rates, and reorganizing ...Read more
Pangasinan school accepts transferees from Marawi
  • June 29, 2017
URDANETA CITY, June 29  (PIA) -  The Urdaneta I Central School in eastern Pangasinan is now the second home of at least 12 students from embattled Marawi City, upon their transfer to this province.   School Principal Dr. Robert Tababa said the pupils, whose age bracket ranges from seven to 12 years old, were warmly welcomed by the school despite the lack  of  school credentials like birth certificates and report cards.   “May Department of Education policy tayo na i-accept ang mga bata maski walang credentials kung may nangyaring kalamidad sa kanila either man-made o natur...Read more
SSS formally opens its newly-relocated branch in Capiz
  • June 29, 2017
ROXAS, CAPIZ, June 29 (PIA) -- The Social Security System (SSS) formally opened its newly-relocated branch office in Roxas City on June 28, 2017, serving about 2,450 employers and more than 33,500 members and pensioners in 578 barangays.   “As the provincial capital of Capiz, I think it is our job to create bigger branches to accommodate the increasing number of SSS members and employers in Western Visayas,” SSS President and Chief Executive Officer Emmanuel F. Dooc said.   The recently-upgraded branch office is now located at the ground floor of CityMall Roxas along Arnaldo...Read more