Government forces seize shabu, firearms in Marawi City, gear towards city’s rehab

  • June 20, 2017

MANILA, June 20 -- Government forces recovered illegal drugs as well as cache of high-powered firearms over the weekend in Marawi City, a Palace official said on Monday, June 19.

During the regular Mindanao Hour press briefing in Malacañang, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said eleven kilos of suspected metamphetamine hydrochloride also known as shabu was recovered by troops after a brief firefight with Maute militants at 6 p.m. on Sunday. 

The confiscation of the illegal substance is one of the significant developments by the Joint Task Force Marawi in the ongoing clearing operations in besieged city.

Armed Forces of the Philippines Spokesperson Brigadier General Restituto Padilla Jr., who joined Abella at the press briefing, said soldiers also seized more than 20 high-powered firearms last Saturday in Marawi City.

“So you may not be aware of the nature of the confiscated firearms. These are among the firearms that have been confiscated and they are not ordinary firearms at all but high-powered firearms that can fire from afar, hit targets and destroy them,” Padilla said.

“This is indicative of the length of planning that went to this operation of these rebels, when they were able to get this number of firearms and bring it to the area of operations over a period of time," he added.

Other war materials that have been confiscated are improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other explosives. 

According to Abella, the AFP is prepared to embark on other key tasks such as rehabilitation and reconstruction of Marawi City once it is cleared of the terrorists.

“It has already prepared the Combat Engineering Brigades [from] the Army and the Navy for immediate deployment as soon as the clearing operations are [completed],” he said of AFP’s preparations.

In the meantime, however, he said the focus remains on combat, intelligence, and civil military operations.
 
The government troops have so far rescued 1,637 civilians, recovered 250 firearms and killed 257 terrorists, Abella reported adding that the Maute’s resistance "continues to wane".

At least 62 soldiers have been killed while thousands of people have been displaced since the siege started last month. 

In response to people expressing desire to help families of troops killed-in-action and internally displaced persons, the government set up two separate bank accounts under Landbank where concerned people could deposit money.

For families of slain soldiers, they can deposit money to AFP Marawi Casualty with account number ‎00000552107128. 

For evacuees from Marawi City, people can send money to Marawi IDP with account number ‎00000552107136.


Band together in fight vs terrorism

Meanwhile, Padilla reiterated his call to the public to support the government in fighting terrorism describing the enemy as “a different breed.”

He said the presence of foreign fighters in Mindanao is part of a continuing concern because they bring something different than from that of home-grown terrorists.

“But if we do not work as a nation and band together to fight it, the threat might increase," he said.

He added that if Filipinos work together as one nation, it will be harder for the extremists to rule and the government could easily root them out. (PND)


Other News

Antique Guv: participate  during "Pista Kang Kagubatan"
  • June 29, 2017
SAN JOSE, Antique June 29 (PIA) - - The Governor called on Antiquenos to participate in the tree planting activity set on June 30, 2017 at Camp Leandro Fullon, Barangay San Fernando, the Municipality.   “The activity is pursuant to Provincial Ordinance No.2015-109, wherein the Provincial Government will celebrate “Pista Kang Kagubatan on June 30 with the theme “Kagubatan Tamnan, Protektaha: Kaaraydan Kang Tanan,” said Governor Rhodora Cadiao in her invitation to all government employees and other institutions to join the tree planting activity.   The governor said that activity a...Read more
Albay reports huge increase in quarry income
  • June 29, 2017
LEGAZPI CITY, June 29 (PIA) – The provincial government of Albay reported generating P69.2 million in taxes on sand and gravel in less than a semester of 2017.   The January to May proceeds from quarrying sand and gravel amounted to P69,250,066, which was considerably higher than the P38,633,810 collected in the entire 2016, records at Albay’s Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) showed.      Albay Governor Al Francis Bichara attributed the substantial increase to some basic reforms that he introduced, mainly adjusting the tax rates, and reorganizing ...Read more
Pangasinan school accepts transferees from Marawi
  • June 29, 2017
URDANETA CITY, June 29  (PIA) -  The Urdaneta I Central School in eastern Pangasinan is now the second home of at least 12 students from embattled Marawi City, upon their transfer to this province.   School Principal Dr. Robert Tababa said the pupils, whose age bracket ranges from seven to 12 years old, were warmly welcomed by the school despite the lack  of  school credentials like birth certificates and report cards.   “May Department of Education policy tayo na i-accept ang mga bata maski walang credentials kung may nangyaring kalamidad sa kanila either man-made o natur...Read more
SSS formally opens its newly-relocated branch in Capiz
  • June 29, 2017
ROXAS, CAPIZ, June 29 (PIA) -- The Social Security System (SSS) formally opened its newly-relocated branch office in Roxas City on June 28, 2017, serving about 2,450 employers and more than 33,500 members and pensioners in 578 barangays.   “As the provincial capital of Capiz, I think it is our job to create bigger branches to accommodate the increasing number of SSS members and employers in Western Visayas,” SSS President and Chief Executive Officer Emmanuel F. Dooc said.   The recently-upgraded branch office is now located at the ground floor of CityMall Roxas along Arnaldo...Read more