Anti ‘endo’ drive nets 45,605 regularized workers

  • April 20, 2017

MANILA, April 20 -- The labor department continues to succeed in eliminating labor-only contacting and other forms of illegal contracting arrangements, Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III said Tuesday.

Bello said the government’s anti endo campaign has so far netted 45,605 regularized workers from July 2016 to March 2017.  

“We managed to increase the number of workers whose employment were regularized following our assessments and massive information drive on contractualization. With our new department order which bans labor-only contracting and other forms of illegal contracting practices, we hope for more contractual workers to become regular this year,” he said.

The labor secretary said that 35,781 workers were voluntarily regularized by 1,322 employers while some employers resorted to termination of employment due to incapacity to regularize their employees.

“Since July, DOLE has been strictly implementing laws and regulations on job contracting and DOLE immediately provided placement and livelihood assistance to those whose employment has been terminated due to incapacity of some employers to absorb regular workers,” he said.

To boost efforts at abolishing illegal contractualization practices, Bello recently issued Department Order 174 on Contracting and Subcontracting, and deputized labor groups to inspect establishments for their compliance with the new order as well as with existing labor laws and regulations.

“I believe that more workers under illegal contracting arrangements will become regular workers as we strictly enforce the new department order,” he said.

The labor secretary has also authorized Undersecretary Joel Maglunsod to supervise a team composed of labor compliance officers and representatives from labor and employers that will conduct inspections of more than 90,000 establishments to assure their compliance with labor standards and existing labor laws. (DOLE)


Other News

La Union prides itself on being PGS Compliant, Silver Trailblazer awardee  
  • June 27, 2017
SAN FERNANDO CITY, June 27 (PIA) – After months of implementation, the Provincial Government of La Union (PGLU) received the governance medallion for its Performance Governance System (PGS) Compliance Stage and the Silver Trailblazer Award during the Public Revalida conducted by the Institute for Solidarity in Asia (ISA) on June 21.   The adoption of the PGS fostered transformation and instilled positive change in the province and facilitated the translation of the province’s governance charter to actionable strategies and commitments leading to breakthrough results.   Geared...Read more
DepEd, partners conduct Psychological First Aid for displaced Marawi teachers, personnel
  • June 26, 2017
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, June 26 – A total of 44 public school teachers and personnel form Marawi City were among the first to receive Psychological First Aid (PFA) conducted by the Department of Education (DepEd) and its partners from June 20 - 22, 2017 at the National Educators Academy of the Philippines (NEAP) Region 10 in Cagayan de Oro City. Reaffirming Education Secretary Leonor Magtolis Briones’s commitment to help and assist all affected learners, teachers and other DepEd personnel in re-establishing a sense of normalcy, DepEd Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Service (DRRMS) D...Read more
Report establishments that refuse to give Senior Citizen privileges-Angeles
  • June 26, 2017
TARLAC CITY, June 26 (PIA) -- Mayor Cristy Angeles encouraged the elderly to report establishments that refuse to give Senior Citizen privileges.   In her speech during the recently concluded Federation of Senior Citizens Association of the Philippines Leadership and Records Management Training and Seminar, Angeles reiterated that the city government strictly implements the privileges and benefits for the senior citizens as mandated by Republic Act 9994 or the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010.   “According to RA 9994, senior citizens shall be entitled to 20% discount and ex...Read more
Feature: Burned public school regains strength
  • June 26, 2017
CURRIMAO, Ilocos Norte, June 26 (PIA) – Faces of grief and hopelessness dominate after Currimao National High School (CNHS) burned into ashes, leaving the school with a ruined administration building, damaged equipment and facilities, and disappeared school records that teachers and officials took years to complete.   It was in December 2016 when a huge fire destroyed the school community that was established in a little village in Currimao, Ilocos Norte, no less than five minutes from the town’s municipal hall.   CNHS had lost an estimated damage of P2.7 million in their sch...Read more