JCI seeks Mindanaoans for TOYM

  • August 08, 2017

DAVAO CITY Aug. 8 (PIA)- Junior Chamber International (JCI) the prime movers of the Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awards are seeking more Mindanaoans for this annual search which seeks to give recognition to selfless and passionate individiuals who have excelled in their profession and contributed to the welfare of their countrymen.

 

"I think this is the right time for us to nominate someone from Mindanao because Mindanao is being highlighted because of our President." says Diane Marie Tushinka Tan 2017 TOYM Area 5 chairperson said during the Davao launch of the TOYM Awards held last July 28 at the World Palace in Davao City.

 

According to data only 4% of the 485 awardees since the TOYM inception in 1959 or about  20 individuals are from Mindanao.

 

"First and foremost most of the people from Mindanao are not aware of the awards and second probably they are aware but they have no idea how to nominate." Tan said. 

 

To allow more Mindanaoans for TOYM is to make nomination process 100% online.

 

"I think one of the reasons why there are fewer Mindanao nominees is lack of accessibility , all the screenings, the judgings, the interviews  are done in Manila." says JCI Senator Disston Tan who is the chair for TOYM 2017.

 

"Going 100% online, they don't need to send the physical documents to Manila, the interview can be done through skype." the JCI senator said.

 

"Hopefully we can get 30% of nominees from Mindanao." JCI Senator Tan said. 

 

Last year of the 150 nominees there were less than 20 nominees coming from Mindanao. 

 

Established 58 years ago this year's TOYM carries the theme "United in Purpose Towards Nation Building." Nominees must be  Filipino citizens and are 18-40 years old with “outstanding leadership and achievements which benefit the community and the country.”

 

Interested individuals in the TOYM nomination process can go visit the website www. toym.jci.org.ph. The deadline for nominations is on August 30, 2017. (PIA/RG Alama)


Other News

Palace closely monitoring situation on avian flu
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- Malacañan on Saturday, August 19, reassured the public that it is keeping a close watch on the developments in Nueva Ecija following reports of poultry deaths, urging the people to refrain from spreading fake news which may cause distress and panic. “We are closely monitoring the situation in Nueva Ecija following the confirmation of poultry deaths in the province yesterday by the Department of Agriculture (DA). We ask our people to remain calm yet vigilant and to refrain from spreading unverified information that may cause undue alarm and panic,” Presidential Spoke...Read more
DPWH resumes road repair in Metro Manila this weekend
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- The Department of Public Works and Highways – National Capital Region (DPWH-NCR) will take advantage of the long weekend to continue its road reblocking activities in 10 major thoroughfares in Metro Manila which began 11PM of Friday, 18 August 2017.   DPWH-NCR Director Melvin B. Navarro reported that road works will include major areas in Quezon City including second lane, northbound direction  of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue before North Avenue; second lane, southbound direction of A. Bonifacio Street between Del Monte Street after Binhagan Street; truck lane,...Read more
Mayor Beng reiterates: Avoid looking for jobs in risky areas
  • August 20, 2017
By Felipo David G. Malcampo ZAMBOANGA CITY, August 16 (PIA) – City Mayor Beng Climaco reiterated her warning to jobseekers to avoid looking for jobs in risky areas since there is plenty of employment opportunities in the city. “Please refrain from looking for work in risky areas because we have a lot of job opportunities in Zamboanga,” Mayor Climaco said during a press briefing Monday (August 14). Last month, four Zamboangueño laborers namely Jayson Vailoces, Joel Adanza, Felimon Guerrero, Jr. and Edmundo Ramos were abducted while doing construction and painting jobs in Sulu. L...Read more
DAR marks CARPER’s 8th Anniversary
  • August 20, 2017
By Alfonso T. Ruda   DIPOLOG CITY, August 16 (PIA)--- The Department of Agrarian of Agrarian Reform held a press conference with the local media in line with the department’s 8th CARPER Anniversary celebration.   According to DAR-Zamboanga del Norte PARPO II Mohammad Dassan Adju, the press conference was called to update the local media on the projects implemented by DAR in the province and to thank the media for their continuous support to its information dissemination campaign.   Adju said that apart from its regular project, presently DAR is implementing two (2) forei...Read more