ARMM launches reintegration program for Abu Sayyaf surrenderees

  • June 19, 2017
  • Rene V. Carbayas

by Rene V. Carbayas

 

ISABELA CITY, Basilan June 19 (PIA) – The Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) has launched a reintegration program for some seventy-four surrendered Abu Sayyafs in Basilan recently.

 

While some military troops are battling head-on with Abu Sayyafs in hot pursuit operations to rescue one Vietnamese kidnap victim on Friday, June 16, the other soldiers have engaged in a dialogue as ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman launched a program that aims to transform terrorists into civilized human beings.

 

The military described it as an “out-of-the-box approach to peacebuilding.” The reintegration program launched in Buli-Buli, Sumisip will have components that will address particular needs of ASG returnees.

 

“This is an inter-agency initiative led by the military with the regional and provincial government of Basilan, to include the vital role of the Basilan Ulama Council, selected non-government organizations, and key government agencies like the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Health (DOH), and the Department of Justice (DOJ), among others,” Hataman said.

 

He explained that the ambitious program is a systematic roadmap that would slowly bring the Abu Sayyafs who yielded to authorities to a more productive and peaceful life.

 

The social-religious-cultural component of the program will be handled by the Basilan Ulama Council. Livelihood and housing component will be undertaken by the regional government. Organizing them and facilitating their activities will be the responsibility of the NGOs, particularly the Nagdilaab Foundation Inc.  while the health and psychological component will be handled by DOH and the Provincial Health Office.

 

One crucial aspect of the program would be the legal impediments involving ASGs with cases in court. ARG Hataman was quick to reply that those with cases will definitely face them in courts and that the police and the military are handling these.

 

“The reason why the government accepted their surrender is to eventually weaken extremism and terrorism in the province. We hope that this program will lure more and more ASGs to surrender as a better option to a life of war and hardship in the hinterlands,” Hataman said.

 

The local government did not expect the idea of ASGs to surrender. The military said that from twenty, ASGs who yielded to the military grew to about seventy-four as of press time. With this, authorities were convinced to engage the problem of terrorism in a more comprehensive approach.

 

“At the end of the day, I think, this will be an effective means to end terrorism in Basilan. And if we will be successful in this endeavor, this may become a template for a national policy to address terrorism in the country,” Hataman said.

 

During the launching, the 4th Special Forces Battalion, Nagdilaab Foundation Inc., the DOH, DSWD, the Claret Samal Foundation, and some members of the Bantay Bayanihan Alliance conducted profiling of the ASGs. The data gathered will be the inter-agency’s basis for appropriate interventions for those returning to the fold of law. (ALT/RVC/PIA9-Basilan)


Other News

Mayor Beng reiterates: Avoid looking for jobs in risky areas
  • August 20, 2017
By Felipo David G. Malcampo ZAMBOANGA CITY, August 16 (PIA) – City Mayor Beng Climaco reiterated her warning to jobseekers to avoid looking for jobs in risky areas since there is plenty of employment opportunities in the city. “Please refrain from looking for work in risky areas because we have a lot of job opportunities in Zamboanga,” Mayor Climaco said during a press briefing Monday (August 14). Last month, four Zamboangueño laborers namely Jayson Vailoces, Joel Adanza, Felimon Guerrero, Jr. and Edmundo Ramos were abducted while doing construction and painting jobs in Sulu. L...Read more
DAR marks CARPER’s 8th Anniversary
  • August 20, 2017
By Alfonso T. Ruda   DIPOLOG CITY, August 16 (PIA)--- The Department of Agrarian of Agrarian Reform held a press conference with the local media in line with the department’s 8th CARPER Anniversary celebration.   According to DAR-Zamboanga del Norte PARPO II Mohammad Dassan Adju, the press conference was called to update the local media on the projects implemented by DAR in the province and to thank the media for their continuous support to its information dissemination campaign.   Adju said that apart from its regular project, presently DAR is implementing two (2) forei...Read more
Help pours for Diki fire victims in Isabela City
  • August 20, 2017
by Rene V. Carbayas   ISABELA CITY, Basilan, Aug 16 (PIA) – The Diki fire that occurred on July 30 left hundreds of victims here composed of 341 families or 1,646 individuals. They have continuously received relief goods and other assistance from different government agencies and organizations.   Zamboanga City Mayor Beng Climaco came all the way from Zamboanga City on August 4 and headed a delegation composed of Zamboanga City's Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and the City Social Welfare and Development Office and turned over relief assistance to the victims....Read more
DOF seeks FPI’s support behind tax reform
  • August 20, 2017
MANILA, Aug. 20 -- Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III has sought the support of local manufacturers behind the Duterte administration’s Comprehensive Tax Reform Program (CTRP), which, he said, would be a potent tool to encourage enterprise and boost domestic market demand, attract investors and improve the purchasing power of wage earners, and build an inclusive economy.   In a speech read for him by Finance Assistant Secretary Mark Dennis Joven, Dominguez also assured members of the Federation of Philippine Industries (FPI), which has long been partnering with the government ...Read more