MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte, April 18 (PIA) - Since its re-imposition last month, the anti-drug campaign operation of police authorities here in the province got an ally from the religious sector, barangay officials, and prominent individuals in the community.
According to Police Sr. Supt. Warren De Leon, provincial PNP director, with the re-activation of double barrel reloaded since March 1, police teams were joined by a barangay official usually a member or chair of the peace and order council, another from a faith-based group, and someone whose name is well known in the area.
So far, some 2,947 drug surrenderers out of a total of 9,118 had been revisited at their respective houses by the new composite teams mentioned, De Leon said during the press conference at his office last week.
He explained that the thrust of the level-up anti-drug campaign was two-fold, one was to revisit those that were subjected to Oplan Tokhang before, this time with the cooperation of civil society, and the other was to intensify arrests of high value targets (HVTs).
In under two months, arrested were two HVTs both residents of this city, along with five street level targets from different towns of the province.
Also in the same period, De Leon said 2.63 grams of shabu were confiscated resulting from buy-bust operations, and 23 kilos of marijuana seized on the seawaters off San Ricardo town in March 7.
The PNP in the province was always subjected to internal cleansing by way of surprise drug testing, daily formation, and weekly inspection to field units either announced or unannounced, De Leon declared.
In one such sudden drug test in March 20 mostly involving anti-drug operatives, all 160 cops were found negative, De Leon proudly reported. (ajc/mmp/PIA8-Southern Leyte)