President Rodrigo Roa Duterte led the conferment of awards last Dec. 19 to 15 individuals and four groups of exemplary public servants who were chosen as awardees of the 2016 Search for Outstanding Government Workers.
QuezonCity, Dec. 28 - President Rodrigo Roa Duterte confers the Dangal ng Bayan Award on Mr. Joselito G. Florendo (2nd from R), Assistant Professor 7 of the University of the Philippines, Diliman during the awards rites of the 2016 Search for Outstanding Government Workers. The President was joined by CSC Chairperson Alicia dela Rosa-Bala (center), Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales (3rd from L), CSC Commissioner Robert S. Martinez (leftmost), and Jorge A. Cabacungan (2nd from L).
The finalists were selected from 191 nominations submitted from all over the country.
Among the awardees were Teacher Aida Maniego who made education more accessible to the B’laan community of Davao del Sur; MSg Perfecto Perez of the Philippine Air Force who was responsible for the high operational rate of military aircrafts; Punong Barangay Darwin Domingo who transformed Barangay 1 of San Lorenzo, Laoag City, once known as a dreaded community, into a vibrant and model neighborhood; Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer Abner Lawangen of Tublay, Benguet who used his expertise in environmental management and community relations to engage indigenous communities in disaster preparedness; and The Synergist Team of Provincial Government of Bulacan that turned the province into a micro and small enterprise capital in Central Luzon.
The Civil Service Commission (CSC) conducts the annual Search for Outstanding Government Workers under the Honor Awards Program (HAP). The conferment of awards under HAP aims to motivate or inspire government employees to improve the quality of their performance and instill deeper involvement in public service.
Three categories of awards were given. The Presidential Lingkod Bayan Award is conferred to an individual or group of individuals for exceptional or extraordinary contributions resulting from an idea or performance that had nationwide impact on public interest, security and patrimony. The contribution may be a suggestion, innovation, invention, or superior accomplishment.
The complete roster of Lingkod Bayan awardees include:
- Dr. Jose L. Bacusmo | University Professor, Visayas State University, Baybay City, Leyte
- Dr. Mario V. Capanzana | Director IV, Food and Nutrition Research Institute, Department of Science and Technology, Taguig City
- Aida L. Maniego | Teacher I, Malita South District, Department of Education-Division of Davao del Sur
- Master Sergeant Perfecto L. Perez | 205th Tactical Helicopter Wing, Philippine Air Force, Brigadier General N. Ebuen Air Base, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- The Verdant Movers (10 Members) | Bala Elementary School, Department of Education-Division of Davao del Sur
- Bayawan City Local Flood Early Warning and Rescue Team (5 Members) | City Government of Bayawan, Negros Oriental
They were given a cash reward of PHP200,000, gold gilded medallion, Presidential plaque with citation, scholarship grant, and other incentives. In addition, they are entitled to automatic promotion to the next higher position commensurate to their qualification.
The Outstanding Public Officials and Employees (Dangal ng Bayan) Award is conferred to an individual for performance of an extraordinary act or public service and consistent demonstration of exemplary ethical behavior on the basis of his/her observance of the eight norms of behavior provided under Republic Act No. 6713, otherwise known as the “Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees”.
The Dangal ng Bayan awardees are:
- Nixon C. Aquino | Light Equipment Operator, Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University, Agoo, La Union
- Wenceslao P. Caranguian | Mechanical Plant Operator III, National Food Authority, Tuguegarao City, Cagayan
- Lanie A. Castañares | Municipal Civil Registrar, Municipal Government of Datu Abdullah Sangki, Maguindanao
- Darwin M. Domingo | Punong Barangay, San Lorenzo, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte
- Joselito G. Florendo | Assistant Professor 7, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City
- Rio Ador C. Gabaisen | Teacher I, Dapa Central Elementary School & SPED Center, Department of Education, Surigao del Norte
- Sonia E. Ipang | Social Welfare Officer III, Department of Social Welfare and Development, Cagayan de Oro City
- Abner O. Lawangen | Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer II, Municipal Government of Tublay, Benguet
- Noel A. Polaron | Secondary School Principal III, Belison National School, Department of Education-Division of Antique
They were given a cash reward of PHP200,000, trophy designed by National Artist for Sculpture Napoleon V. Abueva, scholarship grant, and other incentives. They are also entitled to automatic promotion to the next higher position commensurate to their qualification.
The CSC Pagasa Award is conferred to an individual or group of individuals for outstanding contribution/s resulting from an idea or performance that directly benefit more than one department of the government.
The CSC Pagasa awardees are:
- Artemio F. Baylosis | General Manager B, Baliwag Water District, Baliwag, Bulacan
- Maria Corazon A. Rubio | Head Teacher I, Lucena City National High School, Department of Education-Division of Lucena City, Quezon
- Provincial Rice Program Implementing Team (9 Members) | Provincial Agriculture Office, Provincial Government of Pangasinan, Lingayen, Pangasinan
- The Synergist (6 Members) | Provincial Government of Bulacan
They received PHP100,000, a gold gilded medallion, a plaque with citation signed by the CSC chairperson, scholarship grant, and other incentives.
The awardees were chosen by respected personalities from the public and private sector. The 2016 Presidential Lingkod Bayan and CSC Pagasa Awards Committee was composed of CSC Chairperson Alicia dela Rosa-Bala, Chief of Presidential Protocol Ambassador Marciano A. Paynor Jr., Ayala Foundation, Inc. President Ruel T. Maranan, Pepsi Cola Products Philippines, Inc. Independent Director Rafael M. Alunan III, and Eagle Broadcasting Corporation President Jorge A. Cabacungan.
The 2016 Outstanding Public Officials and Employees Committee was composed of CSC Chairperson Alicia dela Rosa-Bala, Commission on Audit Chairperson Michael G. Aguinaldo, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, Deputy Executive Secretary Alberto A. Bernardo, and Office of the President Undersecretary Gloria Jumamil-Mercado. (CSC)