Initial reports on effects of Super Typhoon Lawin

  • October 20, 2016

QUEZON CITY, Oct. 20 – Here are the initial reports on the effects of Super Typhoon Lawin, which according to PAGASA, made a landfall at Baguio Point, Peñablanca, Cagayan at 11: 00 o’clock in the evening of October 19.

These were gathered from the various Philippine Information Agency information centers in coordination with various government agencies and local government units. 

Heavy rains and gusty winds were experienced in the province of Cagayan which was under Typhoon Signal No. 2, the PIA Region 2 said. Initial reports of blown roofs of houses, toppled down trees and electric posts were received. In many instances these debris became road blocks.

Even the office of the Civil Defense in Region 2 which was the command center of the Cagayan Valley Risk Reduction and Management Council, monitoring the effects of the Super Typhoon, was not spared, and was damaged.

Earlier, Governor Manuel Mamba of Cagayan urged the public to open their houses to those who are forced to evacuate their homes due to flooding and fear that their houses cannot withstand the heavy rains and strong winds of 'Lawin'.

As of 9pm, the Buntun Bridge here already reached the 653-meter water level mark, which according to OCD-RDRRMC was not yet critical. However, residents living in low-lying areas particularly those adjacent to and along rivers were advised to evacuate to ensure their safety.

Even hours after the landfall of the super typhoon, Cagayan was continuously battered with heavy rains and gusty winds.

Preemptive evacuation earlier in the day was enforced but several evacuation centers were destroyed prompting the government of Tuguegarao to transfer the evacuees to the city auditorium.

PIA1/La Union said that according to initial reports from the Provincial Office of DILG, 12 towns have enforced preemptive evacuation.

Power outages were reported in the provinces of Quirino, Cagayan, Isabela, in 6 towns of La Union particularly San Gabriel, Naguilian, Agoo, Balaoan, Luna and the city of San Fernando.

Power outage was also reported in some parts of Baguio City.

PIA CAR/Apayao informed that the Tuguegarao-Magapit 69kV line tripped at 8:27PM affecting CAGELCO I-Alcala and entire CAGELCO II franchise area (parts of Cagayan and Apayao). Patrol of affected transmission line will be in full swing as soon as weather allows.

PIA CAR/IFUGAO reported power outages in the towns of Hungduan, Tinoc, Mayoyao, Kiangan, Alfonso Lista, Aguinaldo, Hingyon, Kiangan and Asipulo.

PIA CAR also said that the DPWH-CAR reported that the as of 8PM of October 19, Kennon Road was preemptively closed to traffic for the safety of motorists.

Meanwhile, PIA-1/LA UNION said that as of 12midnight (October 20), all national roads and bridges are still passable to all types of vehicles. Information Officer Esperanza Tinaza of DPWH said their district maintenance engineers and maintenance point persons, together with maintenance crew are continuously monitoring road lines in their area of responsibility.

PIA-1/ILOCOS SUR informed that Governor Ryan Luis V. Singson has also declared the suspension of work to all private companies in the province on October 20 due to Typhoon Lawin.

Residents in the coastal areas of Candon City and eight other towns in the province were evacuated to safer grounds in anticipation of the landfall of Typhoon Lawin. Neresa Gorospe, staff of the Ilocos Sur DRRMC, said the accounting of evacuees is on-going. The coastal towns who have evacuated constituents are San Esteban, San Ildefonso, San Vicente, Santa, Sinait, Sta. Catalina, Sta. Cruz, and Sto. Domingo.

PIA-2/ISABELA said that Governor Faustino Dy III and the other officers of the PDRRMC were at the Operations Center in the Provincial Capitol in order to monitor the events and to give prompt action to any effect of the super typhoon to the Isabelinos.

Some 5,137 individuals from 31 barangays in the coastal towns, low-lying areas and landslide-prone areas, took refuge at the evacuation centers.

PIA-NCR coordinated with the PIOs of the local government units (LGUs) of Metro Manila on class suspension. As of 11:45 in the evening of October 19, the PIA-NCR has posted in its Official Facebook Page the announcement of class suspension for Thursday, October 20 in all levels of both public and private schools in all cities and municipality of Metro Manila. The suspension was called in view of the heavy rains to be brought by Typhoon Lawin.

According to PIA-NCR, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) also declared a no walk zone policy along the Baywalk area of Roxas Boulevard in Manila due to strong waves. (PIA)


Other News

PIA to launch ASEAN Information Kiosk inside Clark International Airport
  • March 27, 2017
CLARK FREEPORT ZONE, March 27 (PIA) -- Philippine Information Agency (PIA) is set to launch on March 28 its ASEAN Information Kiosk inside Clark International Airport.   “This seeks to provide useful information on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines, Central Luzon, Pampanga, and government services to Overseas Filipino Workers, and local and foreign tourists. This is part of hyping Clark’s hosting of the centerpiece 31st ASEAN Summit and related meetings come November 2017,” PIA Regional Director William Beltran said.          “The ...Read more
KumpaS: Listening to the Filipino, One Barangay at a Time
  • March 26, 2017
The President’s communication group intends to hear out concerns and hold discussions on key national issues with a new grassroots campaign led by Secretary Martin Andanar In Manila, an article noting that there’s a dangerous heat wave was circulating all over the net. It was 41 degrees the day before and the warmth can be felt across the Metropolis. The weather was as unforgiving in Bacolod City that Friday afternoon. The heat was searing, but there were people working overtime at the covered court of Jose Torres Elementary School where an event is about to take place in a few hours. ...Read more
President Duterte breaks ground for drug rehab center in Bukidnon
  • March 26, 2017
MALAYBALAY CITY, BUKIDNON – President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday, March 25, led the groundbreaking of the Drug Abuse Treatment and Rehabilitation Center (DARTC) here in Bukidnon. With a capacity of around 500-800 patients, the P 700-million drug rehabilitation center will soon rise in a five-hectare land in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, which was donated to its city government. In his speech during the groundbreaking ceremony of DARTC, President Duterte encouraged the illegal drug dependents to surrender because they "cannot discern what is right and what is wrong" when they are into suc...Read more
CSC issues clarificatory rule on state workers with dual citizenship
  • March 26, 2017
QUEZON CITY, March 26 -- The Civil Service Commission (CSC) announced that incumbent government employees who have dual citizenship had until last Thursday, 23 March 2017, to renounce their foreign citizenship.   CSC Chairperson Alicia dela Rosa-Bala said that, per CSC Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 23, s. 2016 issued on 15 September 2016, failure to meet the deadline for renouncing foreign citizenship by employees covered by the said policy would result in the recall of the prior approval/validation of their appointments.   Recently, the Commission issued a clarification thru MC ...Read more